Even though many parents fear that their child may be allergic to honey and avoid it for a long time, a honey allergy is very rare. Only approximately 0.001%of the population has it. However, if you haven’t ever triedhoney, that first spoonful should be tasted with caution because however rare an allergy may be, it can be unpleasant or even dangerous.
Signs of a honey allergy
An allergy to honey does not differ much from other allergies with its symptoms: rashes, itching, sneezing, a runny nose, swelling face, diarrhoea, etc. Typically, symptoms manifest themselves after the ingestion of honey and pass within several hours.
To this day, research has not concluded exactly which components of honey act as allergens. There have been many studies targeted at bee poison remnants and pollen, but these components were not allergens for everyone. More research is being done about little-known enzymes and protein compounds secreted by bee glands that are believed to be the main culprits behind this especially rare allergy.
If you are allergic to pollen, it is unlikely that you will be allergic to honey because bees make honey from plant nectar. Besides, they process the nectar in their own stomachs, so if you really want to find out if you’re allergic to honey, this will require testing. However, a tiny amount of pollen can be found naturally in honey. This amount varies for different types of honey, so if you’re suffering from a mild allergy but still want some honey, you can try out different types. It’s also worth considering what type of pollen you have an allergy to and opting for the honey that is gathered when the culprits behind your allergy aren’t flowering.
The first spoonful
If you’ve never tried it before, the first spoonful of honey, however strange it may sound, is very important. Of course, if you’re thinking about incorporating honey into your dietary regimen, don’t begin with an entire spoonful but with a small bit of honey. Taste it, lick it, let the honey dissolve in your mouth and watch how you feel. If you don’t notice any allergy symptoms, you probably don’t have one. So go ahead and add a touch of sweetness to your life. In moderation.
For many centuries, honey has been used in our part of the world as both a food stuff and a medicine. Even though, according to the data of world health organisations, honey allergies are especially rare, they can be triggered both by bee-made proteins and the small amount of naturally-occurring pollen in honey. So, if you’re afraid of having a honey allergy, get yourself tested or simply watch your body carefully after the first time you consume it .