Bee glue (propolis) — the bees’ greatest weapon against microorganisms and intruders
Since the olden days, bee glue has been known as one of the strongest natural antibiotics. It is an especially powerful biologically active substance that doesn’t allow most microorganisms to reproduce. It has protected bees since the beginning of time and now it’s here to protect you!
What is bee glue?
It is a mixture of wax and various biologically active substances produced by the bees’ glands. Bees use propolis to seal the holes in their hive and wherever there is a greater risk of oncoming intruders. In the bees’ world, bee glue is feared by most microorganisms and even some of their enemies. Our forefathers noted these properties of bee glue and began applying it widely to protect themselves from dangerous microorganisms.
For many years, bee glue has been used in medicine. It is a natural bee-made product loaded with essential nutrients that bees collect from various plants. Bee glue is a wonderful natural creation that no scientists have successfully replicated. Propolis has a host of antibacterial properties, so it can help in the fight against various infectious diseases.
Benefits of propolis
The full benefits of bee glue, just like its composition, are still being studied by scientists. One thing is clear though, if propolis is effective in protecting bees against various diseases (of course, not all of them), it can also help us. This is what the experts of folk medicine say.
According to folk medicine, bee glue has an abundance of beneficial properties to offer:
- It helps alleviate tooth pain and treat various diseases of the oral cavity (simply place a bit of bee glue on your tooth);
- It helps bolster the immune system;
- • It contributes to the destruction of bacteria and viruses in the body;
- It alleviates the pain of a sore throat and cough symptoms;
- It helps stop bleeding and stimulates tissue regeneration after injury;
- It lowers blood pressure;
- It boosts energy levels and long-term stamina;
- It reinforces the action of antibiotics and other antiviral and antifungal medications;
- It removes unpleasant odours.
For more on propolis, read our blog post on What is propolis (bee glue), what benefits does it offer and how to use it.
Even though most people are used to bee products being sweet, propolis might just surprise you. It has a very pleasant aroma, but its flavour is slightly bitter and tangy. Just like wax, you can’t chew it up completely.
How to consume propolis
Propolis can be chewed much like chewing gum — the longer, the better. However, it is best absorbed in the form of an infusion or extract, dissolved in various solvents (typically medicinal alcohol). We have written up three simple recipes in our blog postHow to prepare bee glue extract.
Bee glue storage
Keep in a cool dark place.
For countless years, propolis has helped bees protect themselves from various pests. Now we can use this product of nature to become healthier, brighter, more energetic and happier ourselves!
Our scientific sources:
- Anjum SI, Ullah A, Khan KA, Attaullah M, Khan H, Ali H, Bashir MA, Tahir M, Ansari MJ, Ghramh HA, Adgaba N, Dash CK. Composition and functional properties of propolis (bee glue): A review. Saudi J Biol Sci. 2019 Nov;26(7):1695-1703. doi: 10.1016/j.sjbs.2018.08.013. Epub 2018 Aug 17. PMID: 31762646; PMCID: PMC6864204.
There are no reviews yet.